Monday, May 08, 2006

There are none so Blind as those who will not See, Deaf as those who will not Hear

So it's over, Singapore's elections have returned the status quo.

The best thing about the elections to me was that the best piece of political satire turned up in podcast form and it's the funniest thing I've heard in years. It's the famous no bak chor mee which you can find on www.mrbrown.com

The hard thing for me this elections is seeing how little people think about the election process and about politics in general. It's the 20-something year old tertiary educated students who are my friends who don't even know what a by election is that scare me, and it's the ones who think, oh, just so long as I have a roof over my head and stay out of trouble, that's what counts. It's the 30-something year old ones who doesn't want to talk about politics or money because they think it's "dirty" and that it's much better to meditate on other things, it's the ones who are scared of any change at all...they're grateful for walkovers so they don't have to think about it. These are the ones that scare me. The ones that know what they're doing, regardless of whom they vote for don't get me worried, I always figure, well at least you made your choice knowingly. It's the ones who insist on remaining politically immature, who refuse to grow who scare me most. They're the proverbial frog who gets cooked as the temperature of the water is increased degree by degree. The warm comfort of the pot will be their death.

But, and there's a big but, there incredible number of blogs and of persistantly non political podcasts that have turned up is heartening. The democratisation of information has indeed begun to be felt on these political shores.

No comments: