Monday, August 11, 2008

Pilates

I feel like I've been getting distinctly flabby over the past year and putting on inches and weight as well. So I really do need to start more muscle building exercise as my favourite form of exercise, aikido, may be great for many other things but it's definitely not a good way to lose weight. That plus since I've just been having a lot of problems with my left knee so I need an exercise regime where I'm in a lot of control over what I do.

So I finally braved a pilates class at Amore again where I'm a member. I have discovered that I like the instructor at the Heartland Mall branch a lot more as he's more patient with beginners like me and will actually adapt the positions/movements etc so that people like me with weak core muscles can still derive some benefit and actually do something as opposed to flopping like a fish out of water.

He was distinctly more encouraging this time as well compared to the last time telling the class at the end that those who are just starting out need to be patient with themselves and the class since it takes a while to build the strength in the core.

Looks like over the next few months I'm going to be a bit more regular and try and make it to pilates once a week. My Saturday yoga class is already part of my regular schedule so now I have to step things up on Sunday.

3 comments:

Katong Gal said...

Not bad! Akido, yoga and now pilates. Well done.

Anonymous said...

you should seriously consider light weight/resistance training. the rational being that more muscle mass will result in more effective fat burn.

- unkster

Mandy said...

Thanks for all the encouraging comments :).

To unkster: yes i have been thinking about doing weights. i might go back to Planet Fitness once my Amore membership ends. I like bodypump.