Saturday, April 17, 2010

Signing

Shall I learn sign language? There's a short course for sign language for religion in my church and I was thinking, it is such an elegant and beautiful language, I am tempted. I see glimpses of it when the deaf community gathers for Sunday morning mass in one wing of the church and they're all signing with the intepreter intepreting to them. It's so poetic it goes straight to the heart . The snag is that I am not a natural at languages, learning new ones I mean. I struggled with Chinese for years and still not that fluent in it. And I did a passing bit of french, only just about enough to order food in a restaurant and not much more. (Ah, yes, the important bit of the language, I agree).

I'll think about it but if anyone wants to weigh in on the conversation, please do. Or what version is worth learning.

1 comment:

Taking5 said...

Don't know if you have been watching Glee, but there is a sequence where a choir of deaf children are signing "Imagine" whilst one boy says the words. The "New Directions" choir then joins in with the music. It's beautiful. So why not learn a bit !