Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dogs teach me to Pray

One of my favourite old priests, who serves in my parish, said something which really struck a chord with me. He related an incident where he was grumbling on his way to church as a young priest, to do his duty about mass or some other service. In his grumpy mood, he arrived back home and was greeted by his favourite pet dog, a dalmation, a dog he has always found very appealing. As dogs do, he was given an enthusiastic and warm welcome and shown much affection, and it occurred to him then that if a dog can show his master so much affection over a simple return home, how ungrateful and ungracious it was of him to be grumbling to see God, our master.

I loved the story because I have on many occasions, come home and have had my spirits lifted by my dogs who rush to the door or the gate, and when they cannot get out the door, will make all manner of noise, standing on their hind legs, pulling at the door handle in a fruitless attempt to let themselves out. Never mind that I only saw them just this morning, but I get a welcome as warm as if I had been away a year. It's especially heart-warming when I've had a hard day at work and they're one of the best stress relievers I have.

I can't believe sometimes how much love they have in their little bodies to pour out to me, so unconditionally and yes, I too can certainly learn from them to serve my master, God, well, with more affection, more willingness to go to prayer and to serve wherever he wishes me to serve, and bear whatever cross he wishes.

1 comment:

taking5 said...

My "welcoming committee" is also at hand every day when I open my front door (have to be very careful to ensure they don't run out) but yes, my spirits rise too when I see their little faces.