Saturday, June 05, 2010

A Crumb of Old Singapore


Where I grew up, my mother used to order groceries from a grocery store called Chop Soon Heng in Beauty World. It was a dry goods grocery store which sold canned food, rice in heavy burlap sacks, biscuits in glass jars scooped out and sold by weight. My mother would call every week or more often and they would then deliver to our doorstep. No delivery charge in those days. It saved my mother a lot of heavy carrying.

Recently, I discovered an old provision store in Commonwealth Drive that still sells these old style biscuits by weight. My friends and I were delighted and promptly bought some and munched our way through an entire packet very rapidly. They taste like yummy jam biscuits with apricot jam in the middle.

Nothing like the taste of childhood.

1 comment:

taking5 said...

Interestingly, we used to have a grocery guy too and the shop was "Chop Chuan Lam". Wondering what "Chop" means...