Saturday, May 19, 2007

How Much is that Doggie in the Window?

My newest bundle of joy is before you: Custard, named for the colour he is, is my family's latest adoptee from Action for Singapore Dogs Society.

ASD, a rescue society which I very happily support, have found a very good match for us: a cream coloured puppy with a confident but not overbearing disposition and which reminds me of my late, and most beloved, Scottie. And yet is individual enough so that I don't think of him as a reincarnation. Plus Custard has proven himself admirably suited to the children in the family as he has patiently endured the many little hands petting it without complaint and even with apparent enjoyment. Indeed so enchanted are my young nephews with this latest addition to the family that they have been claiming rights over feeding the little tyke breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm hoping their enthusiasm will last to when the little tyke is a big tyke and needs lots of walks with energetic young boys.

And for the how much I paid for the doggie, I actually don't pay for the dog so much as cover the costs of the vet plus earlier costs which the rescue society has incurred towards housing, fostering and otherwise caring for it while looking for a permanent home for it. I'd certainly encourage prospective dog owners to seriously consider adopting a dog rather than going to a petshop and buying one, and would particularly recommend working with ASD since they've proven themselves a very well run volunteer organisation.

2 comments:

Katong Gal said...

Why is it you name your pets after food? First Toast, now Custard.

Mandy said...

Actually he came with that name. The first name he was given was Vik then the foster family called him Custard and we liked it so much it stuck.