Thursday, May 17, 2007

QQ Rice

I adore food in tidy packages and have always been a big fan of sushi and dumplings. QQ Rice struck me as the taiwanese version of Subway sandwich bars. So instead of choosing a type of bread, one chooses the rice: purple, red, brown, ice lake wild rice or brown with wheatgerm sprinkled on it. Red is evidently very popular because it's been out of stock for a while.

Then choose the fillings and you get a generous 5 choices out of what looks like about 40 different choices of meat, fish, mock meat, and veg and fruit. The servers spread out the rice on the palm of their glove encased hand, then pile on your choice of filling then roll it all into an elongated fat roll of rice then steam it so that it all sticks together.

The result: a tidy little plastic wrapped package of rice with your choice of fillings. Talk about a meal in your hand. I can't resist buying two each time I'm around that area and once even bought three. They are extremely filling so actually I should only really be eating one for a meal. If I eat two, I end up being full for both lunch and dinner.

I still prefer sushi but this is a very nice alternative. QQ! fortunately so far the appellation does not refer to the process of getting one's food although if they get any more popular, it will as the process of ordering is not particularly speedy.

1 comment:

Katong Gal said...

just to let you know i actually tried this. My friend bought some for a pre-esplanade performance snack. Very tasty indeed and handy to eat!