Friday, March 21, 2008

Fruit and Veg Juice Galore


I've finally discovered a fruit juice stall that serves exactly what I want and more besides. And it was practically in my neighbourhood too. Or at least nearby in Hougang Street 21. There's a hawker centre next to Heartland Mall and the fruit juice stall has an amazing range of fruit and vegetable juices. I'm highly enthusiastic since it will make my detox days much easier. I'm soooo not into making my own juices because I always end up with too much fibre and hate cleaning the bits off the juicer.

So far I've tried three different mixtures he has. The pineapple and chye sim is fine. Not too green tasting but it's a nice green colour. The spinach and apple is sweeter, without the tanginess of the pineapple and is a slightly deeper green in colour. The beetroot takes the prize for colour with its gorgeous magenta hue ending in a purple-pink foam top which you can see in the photograph.

If I make it through to the end of the day with a detox, I'll go back and try three more. He has a chives and ginger one which sounds interesting but rather strong so I wonder if he dilutes it with some other fruit juice to make it more palatable. There's more exotic drinks like cactus juice and he does have a nice succulent cactus leaf hanging as part of his decor over the stall front.

Overall it's good to see an imaginative hawker who's come up with a much larger range of vegetable based juices to complement the usual fruit juices. And the fact that it seems to be surviving nicely certainly seems to imply there's a market out there for even healthier drinks than plain fruit juices.

His prices are usually around S$2.30 to S$2.60 or so for those of you who are curious enough to want to go try and he lists all the prices upfront. I didn't however ask his opening hours but he's certainly open in the mornings and my guess would be the whole afternoon and evening but I'm not sure what time he packs up. The nearest MRT is Kovan and it's just a couple of minutes walk from the station exit.

3 comments:

Katong Gal said...

Hmmm... not sure that Good Friday is supposed to be used for an opportunistic detox...

Mandy said...

I pray as I can, not as I can't :) plus doing detox is harder than normal fasting actually, quite a bit harder...the normal good friday catholic fasting is actually very easy to do.

Frosty said...

Thank you! Been looking around for places like this around Hougang area and ur post was a great help.