Friday, March 21, 2008

Tau Hui with a Twist!


At Serangoon Gardens Chomp Chomp hawker centre, there's a stall which serves the traditional soya bean curd in the usual ways, plain or with toppings such as gingko nuts, lotus seeds or flavoured with traditional flavours such as almond etc. What makes this place unique is that it also serves flavoured soya bean: bandung (read rose syrup with carnation evaporated milk poured over) is what is shown in the photograph. It really does taste like bandung, the drink of milky rose syrup and is a very pretty pink.

The bowl to the rear of the picture contains the more traditional tau hui with gingko nuts on top which is one of my favourites.

There are other interesting flavours. I liked the green tea one which has a distinct green tea flavour to it and a more gelatinous texture, more jelly like than tau hui-like with a dark green transclucent hue to it. The chocolate one, sad to say isn't that chocolately, so chocolate lovers consider this to be more asian flavour chocolate ie lightly chocolate only. I haven't yet tried the other flavours although I've seen my aikido buddies lap up all manner of colourful choices with gusto. They're major fans and the ones who introduced me to this stall. For them, they love the texture but personally I still prefer the more liquid texture of the more traditional tau hui, but for variety of flavours, they sure can't be beat: the baskin robbins of tau hui.

2 comments:

Katong Gal said...

wow, you've been busy uploading and posting today! I like my tau hui plain, the traditional way. But these do look fun and yummy.

Mandy said...

Yah, Good Friday usually means I start catching up on some things and there were a bunch of photos in my phone I hadn't yet downloaded from some time back.